Flowers & house plants from A to Z the list of the flower forums English russian flower forums Russian and french flower forums French flower forums  
Help required
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Flowers and violets > Adeniums

Author Thread
maconapc

Help required  Reply with quote  

I was just given a large Adenium in a huge pot. Weighs a ton. Not sure what type of mix was used but the plant looks like it needs help.

I am going to place this into a greenhouse for the remainder of the winter.
But would like to know if the plant needs water during the winter months.

Not sure of the care of this plant.
What kind of mix should be used for this plant. I would assume well drained. But would like some input.

Thanks
Post Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:17 pm
Bob J
Adenium expert

Adenium help  Reply with quote  

Hi,
I grow in a mix of coir and perlite about 60/40 but anything that drains well will do, I have plants growing in pure coir,pure perlite, styro peanuts, gravel from the road and other things. I constant feed and recomend it, use 20-20-20 at the rate of about 1/8tsp per gal of water, I don't have any real
favorite as far as brand, I also give the plants a solution which is a mix of humic acid and nitrogen and phosphrous fixing bacteria once or twice a year
as some of the fertalizers are not as available to the plants as could be wished, I personaly don't think it makes a lot of difference what you use as a growing media when you constant feed as about all the media does is hold the plant upright, I am constantly trying all kinds of micro nutrients but the one I like best is humic acid, I won't swear the plants grow any better but they definatly have more and bigger flowers and the colors are stronger and more saturated.
During cold weather or the dormant period when the plant is not activly growing go very easy on the water and no fertalizer Adeniums are prone to root rot and over watering or giving them fertalizer when they are dormant is very likely to cause rot. If there are not new leaves forming at the growth points don't fertalize. If you will look on the links page on my site (http://www.fatplantfarm.com) there is a link to the site of Dr. Mark Dimmitt,
there is a "button" something like "articals on Adeniums click it and then go to the bottom of the page that brings up and there is a artical on growing large plants rapidly, it is about the best info on growing Adeniums I know of and I really recomend reading it. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
Bob J
Post Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 am
maconapc

Thanks  Reply with quote  

Thanks Bob. Obviously this plant is potted in something that is holding water. It weighs a ton. There was also water in the saucer. Hopefully one can repot the plant at any time of the year. It appears to be dormant as there is no growth and only tiny leaves at the tips of each branch. Nice solid large base. Looks great.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:51 pm
Bob J
Adenium expert

Since you say there are small leaves at the tips of the branches it sounds like it is about to go into active growth and you should have no trouble with repotting it. When you repot you can raise the roots so more will show but if you do give the newly exposed areas some time in bright shade before exposing them to full sun or they will sunburn and while it may not kill the plant it wont help it and it will cause scarring if the burn is bad enough.
When the plant is in growth keep the soil moist all the time, when you let the plant become totaly dry the very fine roots that actually pick up water and nutrients will die back quickly and while they also regrow fairly fast it takes time and the plant looses "growing time" but having so much water that it is standing in the saucer sounds like it is saturated and that is way too much and definatly risks root rot. When you have the plant unpotted check for bad/rotting roots and if you find any cut them back to good tissue and put a bit of rootone f or some powdered sulfur on the cut areas. If I sound a little strong on the root rot it is the biggest reason for Adeniums dying that I know of and the cause of most problems is overwatering when the plant is going dormant or when it is just starting to go active, I actually can't remember when I have lost one for any other reason.
Bob J
Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:47 am

Jump to: